Here you can (will) found some informations how to use GNU software for programming ARM 7 based controllers.
I prefer Atmel AT91 controllers.
1. Why ARM?
- powersave devices (RISC architecture)
- a lot for manufactors available
- new ARM architectures are backward code compatible
2. Why Atmel?
- several controllers available
- ARM7 and ARM 9 controller
- high performance and low price (SAM-series)
- Atmel gives support
3. Why GNU?
- good performance
- good price
- supports a lot of architectures (same syntax for linker ...)
- development of the tools never stops
4. Why do not use a commercial system which includes hardware and software?
- quite extensiv in the most cases
- cheaper system include mostly a time restricted software
I wrote a book about using GNU tools for developing embedded systems. This book is published in german language only.
It was published in january 2004.
More informationen about the book and the CD you can found here: